Google Contacts Sync
You can synchronise the Contacts in your CRM with Google Contacts, to make them available both in Google applications and on your smartphone. Google Contact Sync is available as standard in all CRM plans, including the Free CRM.
You will need an existing account with Google before setting this up, and have set up Google Mail.
Setting up Google Contacts Sync
To set up your Google Contacts sync, go to Settings / Integrations and open the section ‘Email, Contacts & Calendar Applications’.
Click the blue “+ Setup” for Google contacts and click through the ‘Create Google Contacts Integration’.
Clicking ‘Next’ will take you to a Google authentication page. Select the Google account you wish to sync with, enter your email address and password to allow the Really Simple Systems CRM to access to your Google Contacts, and then click Google’s ‘Allow’ button to confirm.
Once the link has been created you will be redirected to the Google Contacts import page. You will then be able to import your Google Contacts buy clicking ‘Next’.
If your authentication fails you should receive an error. If the error was due to incorrect authentication details, you will need to repeat the step above until authenticated correctly to continue. If that doesn’t work, please contact the Really Simple Systems customer support team and we’ll help you resolve the issue.
- Only Contacts belonging to the User’s Accounts will be synchronised, i.e. My Contacts not All Contacts
- This is a two-way synchronisation, changes in Google will replicate to the CRM and vice versa
- Google doesn’t support push synchronisation, so after any updates to either Google or the CRM you must click the “Sync Google Contacts” button to replicate the data
- After “Initial Sync” you will notice a label will appear inside Google Contacts named RSS, this will contain all your CRM Contacts and only items with this label will be synchronised with the CRM. The RSS file is created automatically only if you sync from RSS to Google Mail first. If you sync from Google Mail to RSS you will need to create this file manually.
- Email addresses have to be labelled as “work” in Google to get synchronised
- Phone numbers in the CRM will only be replicated to Google if the Short Field Description in the CRM is “Phone” or “Mobile/Cell”
- If there is an organisation name on the contact in Google the synchronisation will try to match that to an account in the CRM. If it can’t be matched a new account will be created in the CRM
- If contacts in Google don’t have an organisation name, they will be synchronised to an Account in the CRM called “From Google Contacts”
- If you make changes to a contact in both Google and the CRM before synchronising, then the Google contact data will overwrite any changes in the CRM contact
Disabling Google Synchronisation
To disable synchronisation, in Settings / Integrations go to ‘Email, Contacts & Calendar Applications’. In the Google Contacts section click the red ‘Remove Integration’ button. A tab should open for a brief moment while the synchronisation removal process completes.
Upon disabling Google Synchronisation the RSS label in Google Contacts that was initially created against will be removed but for integrity purposes, all contacts that were in that label will not be deleted, and contacts loaded from Google will remain in the CRM system.
Synchronising your Contacts
To synchronise the Contacts in your CRM system at any time, click the green Sync Google Contacts button on the top right of the Contacts page or on the Contacts grid on an Account page.
Clicking this button for the first time will run an initial synchronisation which will set up the link between the two systems before running the synchronisation.
After the “Initial Sync” you will notice a label will appear inside Google Contacts named RSS, this will contain all your CRM Contacts and only items with this label will be synchronised with the CRM. The RSS file is created automatically only if you sync from RSS to Google Mail first. If you sync from Google Mail to RSS you will need to create this file manually.
Google Calendar Sync
You can automatically update your Google Calendar with your CRM Tasks. Google Calendar is a web based calendar system with similar functionality to the calendar in Microsoft Outlook, plus it can be easily shared with your colleagues and anyone else who uses Google Calendar, making it an ideal companion to Really Simple Systems. Plus it’s free!
You can use it by itself (stand alone) or as part of Google Apps, Google’s word processing, spreadsheet and document sharing suite. More details on Google Calendar at http://calendar.google.com.
To synchronise your Google Calendar with your CRM, in Settings / User Settings open the User Management tab. Click on the user neame for the record you wish to amend and open the User Record. Under Calendar Type select ‘Google’, click save then logout of your CRM and back in again.
You will now see a calendar icon next to Saved Tasks. Clicking it will present you a form which will allow you to add the task as an event to your Google Calendar. In this form is an “Options” section that allows you to set email reminders when the Task is due.
You can set your browser to load a login to your CRM home page in one browser tab, and a login to your Google Calendar on another browser tab.
Google Apps Users
More information about Google Apps here: google.com/apps
If you are a Google Apps user, change your Calendar Type to “Google Apps”, and Calendar Domain to your website domain. (e.g if your website is “http://www.mywebsite.com”, enter “mywebsite.com”).
To sync your Google Calendar with other systems , see http://www.google.com/sync/index.html